- ARTS, CULTURE & RELIGIOUS POINTS OF INTEREST
- NATURAL POINTS OF INTEREST
- HANDICRAFT & COTTAGE INDUSTRY TOURS
- SPECIAL INTEREST - TOURISM ACTIVITIES IN NEGROS OCCIDENTAL
House of General Aniceto Lacson - Talisay
- The house of General Aniceto Lacson is nearly a century old edifice standing in the midst of hacienda Matab-ang in Talisay. Gen .Lacson led the northern revolutionary forces against Spain during the one-day uprising of November 5,1898 in Negros. After the revolution, the Negrenses declared the establishment of the Cantonal Government of the Republic of Negros with Gen. Lacson as its president. The Gen. Lacson as its president. The Generalís house became the seat of this Cantonal Government.
House of General Juan Araneta - Bago City
- The house of General Juan Araneta in Bago City was built towards the end of the 19th century and stands today as the Araneta Museum. Gen. Araneta was the other revolutionary leader of the November 5, 1898 uprising against Spain and led the revolutionaries from the south. With the establishment of the Cantonal Government, Araneta the Delegate of War.
Araneta Monument - Bago City
- The monument at the entrance to the city shows Gen. Juan Araneta mounted on his horse during the revolution of November 5,1898. The monument also houses the remains of the General who died in 1924. On this same plaza opposite the generalís Monument lies the Revolutionary Marker, indicating the spot where Araneta and his men first raised the Philippine Flag in the early morning hours of November 5, 1898.
Rizal Elementary School- Bacolod City
- Originally known as the Rizal Institute, the Rival Elementary School on Arrant Street is the first educational institution established by the Americans in Bacolod City in 1901.
Andres Bonifacio Elementary School - Bacolod City
- This school along Bonifacio Street in Bacolod City served as the garrison for enemy-aliens during World War II.
Apolinario Mabini Elementary School - Bacolod City
- Formerly known as Bacolod East Elementary School, this institution was once used as the headquarters of the Japanese Army.
Fort San Juan - Bacolod City
- The fort was originally built in 1890 by a Recollect Friar, Fray Mauricio Ferrero, who, with Fr. Fernando Cuenca, also built the San Sebastian Cathedral. The Fort served as the jail for prisoners during the Spanish era and was where the Spanish friars were incarcerated after the revolution of 1898. Today, the fort serves as the Provincial Jail.
Cinco de Noviembre Revolution Marker - Silay City
- Erected in memory of the first uprising of the Negrenses in Silay City during the revolution of 1898. It was at this southern end of the street now bearing the historic date where the first exchange of shots took place between the local revolutionaries and the Spanish soldiers from the small detachment in Silay.
Ramos Residence - Bacolod City
- This house of European architectural design is the ancestral home of the Ramos family of Bacolod. During the Second World War, the house became the wartime residence of General Taga-ishi Kono, Provincial Commander of the Japanese Imperial Army in Negros with supervision over Panay Island. The table over which the General would dine and hold meetings can still be found inside the house.
Yuloís Park - Bacolod City
- The park is the site of the ancestral home of the prominent Yulo family. The Yulos to a clan of politicians who helped the shape the status of Negros Occidental - a premier province of the south. The park used to be the center for social and recreational affairs in Bacolod at the turn of the century.
Provincial Capitol Building - Bacolod City
- The seat of the Provincial Government is one of the most impressive in the country. Built in 1928 but finished in 1933, the Provincial Capitol of Negros Occidental owes much of its impressive appearance to its Neo-Classic Architectural design. Presently, it houses the Negros Museum.
Ancestral Home of Don Gil Lopez - Brgy. Faraon, Sagay
- The ancestral home of the world-famed violinist Gil Lopez Kabayao is located at Brgy. Faraon in Cadiz City near the Sagay boundary in northern Negros . Don Gil Lopez married Dona Albina Hofileña who at the time in the late 1890 was a pen-pal of the countryís hero, Graciano Lopez Jaena. During the revolution of 1898, it was Don Gil Lopez who led the revolutionary forces from the Sagay-Cadiz area.
Ancestral Home of the Gastons - Hda. Rosalia, Manapla
- The Gaston house stands in the middle of the family farm at Rosalia, Manapla and is near the sea. This house of early American colonial architecture was home to one of the first Frenchmen to settle in Negros - Ivies German Gaston. At the back of the house one can find a vintage iron mill ran by steam in the production of sugar at the turn of the century.
Bago Bridge- Bago City
- Somtime in the late 1920s, the Americans in Negros constructed a steel bridge spanning the expanse of Bago River. During the liberation days in March 1945, the Japanese Army tried to destroy the bridge but were prevented from blowing it up by the Americans and the Filipino soldiers who eventually liberated the City of Bacolod. A World War veterans marker was installed during the 50th anniversary of Negros Liberation at the approach of the Bridge which was cut into half by typhoon Ruping in 1991.
Theodore Vinther Monument and The Unknown Soldiers Monument - Bacolod Public Plaza
- In memory of American PFC Theodore Vinther who died in defense of Bago Bridge, and the Filipino Soldiers who helped liberate the province from the Japanese invaders, these monuments have been erected at the southern and northern sides of the Bacolod City Public Plaza, respectively.
Guintabuan Marker - Highway Junction, E.B. Magalona
- This marker was erected in memory of the heroes of Guintabuan (meeting place), the local revolutionaries who opposed American rule after the fall of Spain. It was in Sitio Guintabuan, Brgy. Tanza, E.B. Magalona, where expeditionary forces from Iloilo met with the local fighters to engage American troops in battle.
Ubong Point - Hinobaan
- An offshore area in the southern town of Hinobaan, this is where Col. Jesus Villamor of the Allied Intelligence Bureau was brought by submarine from Australia during the Second World War. The landing of Villamor and his Planet Party boosted the morale of the Filipino guerillas and led to the unification of the freedom fighters.
Patag Valley - Silay City
- A small village located at the foot of historic Mt. Silay, Patag was the last stronghold of the Japanese Imperial Forces towards the end of the Second World War. When the Americans landed in the town of Pulupandan in 1945 to liberate Negros, some 6,000 Japanese soldiers and officials fled and took refuge in this mountain for about five months before surrendering to the Allied Forces. Recently, declared a tourist zone, Tag is an ideal site for ecotours.
ARTS, CULTURE & RELIGIOUS POINTS OF INTEREST
San Sebastian Cathedral - Bacolod City
- Built in 1876, the San Sebastian Church became the nucleus of a new settlement which eventually became the present day City Bacolod. The church was built upon the initiative of Fr. Mauricio Ferrero, a Recollect Friar , and it became a cathedral in 1933. The San Sebastian Cathedral today is one of the century-old churches found in Negros Occidental.
Poblacio Episcopal - Bacolod city
- Older than San Sebastian Cathedral by approximately 50 years, the Bishops Palace Built by Fr. Julian Gonzaga but was eventually finished only in the 1890s. During and after the revolution of 1898, the Palacio served as refuge for the Spanish military and civil officials.
Bells of San Sebastian - Bacolod City
- The centennial bells of San Sebastian Cathedral were brought down from their place in the belfry and mounted at the right side of the churchyard in 1976, the 100th year anniversary of the cathedral.
Bacolod Plaza Bandstand - Bacolod City
- Right at the center of Bacolod Public Plaza, the bandstand was constructed in 1027 to complement the cultural activities of the early Bocalenos on weekends. Names if world-famous composers like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven and Wagner circle the sides of the roofing, attesting to the early Negrenses familiarity with European culture.
The Provincial Capitol Park & Lagoon - Bacolod City
- Situated in front of the Capitol Building, on the north end of the rectangular lagoon, stands the sculpture of a woman reclining on a female carabao, and on the south end, that of a man pulling a male carabao. The first is a massive sculpture work done by a French artist whose work was said to have never been duplicated, and the other by a Negrense artist, Felix Garzon, who finished Fine Arts from the University of the Philippines.
Paghimud-os - Provincial Capitol Park
- Ang Paghimud-os which literally means The Struggle is a fine sculptural work erected at the east entrance of the Capitol Lagoon and Park. This magnificent work of art was done by one of the countryís noted sculptors, Eduardo Castrillo.
Balay Negrense - Silay City
- Balay Negrense is an ancestral mansion of the Gastons that was converted into a lifestyle museum showing how the sugar planters lived at the century.
Galantine Museum - Silay City
- Built in 1912, the two-storey residence of the late Don Bernardino and Ysabel Jalandoni is typical of houses at the turn of the 20th century. It features intricate artwork and built with strong materials meant to last for a lifetime. Generously offered by its heirs to Silay Heritage Foundation, Inc., the Jalandoni Ancestral Home is now a museum and a venue for cultural, educational, and activities for Silaynons.
Hofileña Art and Antique Collections - Silay City
- A regular destination in the city, the ancestral home of Ramon Hofilena was the first to be opened for tourists. Its attractions include a collection of local and national contemporary paintings, the works of Dr. Jose Rizal and Juan Luna, antique collection, and authentic period furniture. It also features Silay Printmaking Workshop, the oldest such workshop outside of Manila.
Recuerdos de Bacolod - Bacolod City
- Recuerdos is known for its collection of excavated items and heirlooms, wooden saints furniture and pottery pieces as early as the 7th and 9th century. These antique items were taken mostly from Bohol and Panay.
Art Association of Bacolod Gallery
- Located on San Juan Street near he reclamation area, the gallery showcases the works of Negrense artists. Bacolod, often referred to as the Art Center of the South, counts with a number of artists, many of whom are of national fame.
Barangay sang Virgen Chapel - Sta Clara Subd., Bacolod City
- The Sta. Clara Subdivision Chapel features a unique mural of shell mosaic measuring 9ft. by 21 ft. The artwork consists of 95,000 pieces of shells of various sizes, shapes and colors.
Church of San Diego - Silay City
- Built in 1925, the Church of San Diego is one of the most beautiful modern-day churches in the country. When lighted, the large cross atop its dome serves as a navigational guide at sea. Behind it still stand the ruins of the cityís original church which has been transformed by local residents into a grotto. The church was elevated to Pro-Cathedral in December 1994, the second in the Philippines to be declared so.
Church of St. Joseph the Worker - VICMICO, Victorias
- The church is noted for its mural of craggy-faced in bold primary colors. Dubbed The Angry Christ by one foreign writer, the mural stirred controversy among both the clergy and the laity when they first saw it in the late 1940s. In this church, Mary and Joseph are depicted as Filipinos in native attire. These religious icons represent the first Filipinism in liturgical art. The church has been featured in international magazines like Life and Liturgical Art, among others.
Church of Villadolid - Villadolid
- This edifice of bricks and coral stones was constructed in 2877 and is one of the century-old churches in the province. Presently, only half of the church is being used with the original altar hidden from view. The convent beside the church, the ruins of which still remain, was the best in the whole island of Negros at the time.
Chapel of the Cartwheels - Hda. Rosalia, Manapla
- Built by a secular priest for the familyís farm workers, the chapel has been constructed mainly from various farm implements such as the cartwheels (from where it got its name), plows, mortar, pestle, sand and rocks from the nearby seashore.
Church of Our Lady of Peace - La Carlota City
- This century-old church was built in 1876-1877 and has the distinction of being one of the early few churches of Romanisque architecture in the province. Features of the fortress church include the lavish use of red Silay bricks and coral stones from nearby Guimaras Island.
Religious Grotto at Hda. Sta. Ana - Hda. Sta. Ana, San Carlos City
- Some two kilometers west of San Carlos City is the sacred grotto of our Lady of Lourdes. The grotto was discovered by a lawyer in a part of his farm and where he placed a small statue of the Blessed Mother. Later in the early part of 1970s, several incidents occurred which residents attributed to the Lady of Lourdes.
San Antonio Abad Church - Bacolod City
- This crown-shaped church features stations of the cross done by Bacolodís top artists. It is also features an alter sculpture The Risen Christ done by national artist, Solomon Saprid.
City Immaculata Conception - Escalante
- Originally intended as a Lady of Lourdes shrine in 1967, a half hectare area in a peaceful barangay near the poblacion has become a Holy City. Lending solemnity to the open-air place of worship are life-size statues of different saints, a quaint chapel on top of a hill, and a large cross at the topmost level. Native cottage line the edge of the City Immaculata to provide overnight accommodation for retreats and similar religious activities.
Bago Church - Bago City
- Standing next to the southern portion of Bago Public Plaza, the Catholic Church of Bago is believed to be more than a hundred years old, built by the Recollect friars who administered the then small town from the early 1600s. It is said to be of Mexican architecture.
The Vito Church - Brgy. Vito, Sagay
- This very old church was established during the religious administration of Negros by the Recollect Friars in the mid 1850s. Shrine of San Vicente de Ferrer, devotees flock to Vito every Friday, but most especially on first Fridays, as part of a religious promise.
NATURAL POINTS OF INTEREST
Mambukal Health Resort - Mambukal Townsite, Brgy. Minoyan, Murcia
- Situated at the northwestern foot of Mt. Kanlaon, Mambukal Health/ Mountain Resort has been known since the early Spanish times for its hot springs and other beautiful natural features. It also boasts of two river-fed swimming pools as well as seven waterfalls for the intrepid hiker . Mambukal is one of the gateways to Mt. Kanlaon National Park.
Buenos Aries Mountain Resort - Bago City
- Buenos Aries is a hidden paradise located at the foot of Mt. Kanlaon in Barangay llijan. The Bago City government acquired the five-hectare property from Maria Araneta Matti, granddaughter of revolutionary leader, Gen. Juan Araneta. It has a Farmerís Training Center, Pana-ad Building, pavilion, cottages and three swimming pools supplied with mountain spring water which comes in varying sizes for adults , children and swimming competitions. It is a gateway to the Rafael Salas Nature Center in Barangay Guintubdan and Kipot Twin Falls in Barangay Mailum where the Philippine National Oil Company geothermal plant is located.
Ubong Point - Hinoba-an
- Found in the once timber town of Hinoba-an in southern Negros, Ubong point abounds with limestone caves scattered around its offshore area. A large one named Salvacion is partly submerged in the waters, forming a natural swimming pool protected from the sun.
Kevinís Reef - Toboso
- The submerged Kevins Reef is found at the off-shore area of the sea-side town of Toboso in the eastern side of Negros Island. It has an area of about 80 hectares submerged to about two fathoms deep and can be reached in 10 minutes by motorized boat.
Mainit Hot Spring - Toboso
- The hot spring is found in Brgy. San Isidro, about 12 kilometers from the town proper.
Kampanoy Cave - Toboso
- Kampanoy Cave is found at Brgy. Luna , some five kilometers the town proper. Its spacious interior resembles a large doomed cathedral.
Dalisun Falls - Toboso
- The magnificent waterfall found at Sitio Vergara in Brgy. Bug-ang cascades from a height of 250 feet. Treasures believed to be that of the Japanese were reportedly found at the top of the falls.
Tamlang Cave - Escalante
- The cave which is found at Brgy. Tamlang to the western part of the town, used to be the hideout and headquarters of the guerilla from the north during the Second World War.
El Sueno Island - Escalante
- Located about two kilometers to the east of Brgy. Washington and some six kilometers northeastern of the town proper, EL Sueno Island has an area of nearly a hectares. The island is accessible by foot during low tide.
Enchanted Isles - Escalante
- This white sand island, also known as Isla Puti, is a two hectare reef-island with some thriving vegetation. The Island is an ideal place for a dayís excursion from the main village of Bag-ong Banwa.
Suyac Island - Sagay
- Suyac is a small island with an area of about 24 hectares. During low tide, one can walk to the island from the mainland. It is noted for its large crabs, with crab-fishing as the major industry in the village.
Molocaboc Island - Sagay
- Molocaboc is an island barangay located 21.6 kilometers from the town proper of Sagay, and 8.5 kilometers to the north from the shore of Old Poblacion. The island has an area of some 428 hectares and is composed of three smaller islands, namely, Molocaboc Grande, Molocaboc Diutay and Matabas Islet.
Carbin Reef - Brgy. Old Sagay
- Carbin reef is a marine sanctuary under the supervision of the Marine Department of Silliman University. The surrounding marine life is characterized by corals and a variety of fish species. The reef is practically all-white sand with an area of about two hectares at low tide. At high tide, the reef is reduced to about half of its size.
Bagacay Cave - Calatrava
- Located at a barangay bearing the same name, Bagacay cave is about eight kilometers from the town proper and is accessible by foot after a hike of 40 to 60 minutes. Mat-weaving has been a developed industry in this barangay even before the Second World War, with the weavers doing their work inside the roomy cave.
Mt. Kanlaon Volcano - Central Negros Occidental
- Mt. Kanlaon is a volcanic mountain towering to a height of 2,465 meters. Considered the sacred volcano of Sugar Island, it is the highest peak in Central Visayas . The active volcano dominates the 25,000 - hectare Mt. Kanlaon National Park - one of the few surviving National Parks in the country today. A hiking trip to the summit of the active volcano promises to be an exciting adventure and a memorable experience for outdoor lovers.
Daan Lungsod Cave - Calatrava
- The cave is located at Sitio Daan Lungsod in Calatrava with its mouth about 300 meters from the main highway. The cave itself is approximately 75 meters deep.
Enchanted Lake Linao - Hinigaran
- The lake is located in Brgy. Bato some 10 kilometers from the town of Hinigaran. The lake is famous for its floating bamboo footbridge supported by blooming water lilies that grow abundantly on the placid waters of the lake.
Bulata Island - Cauayan
- Bulata Island, some 125 kilometers south of Bacolod City, is a 43-hectare island lying some 3.2 kilometers off the coast of the seashore town of Cauayan. Its white-sand beaches and dazzling underwater world rich in marine life makes it ideal for marine recreation. Bulata is the diving spot for members of the Negros Divers.
Sipaway Island - San Carlos City
- Otherwise known in the official maps as Refugio Island, Sipaway Island is essentially a white- sand beach coral island situated some 3.5 kilometers off the eastern coast of San Carlos City. Sipaway is about seven kilometers in length and 1.5 kilometers wide, at the maximum. The features a couple of government-owned swimming pools where swimming is free of charge.
Llacaon (Lakawon) Island - Brgy. Cadiz Veijo, Cadiz City
- A nine -hecatare islet with white sand beaches and coral reef ideal for all kinds of water sports. The place is 75 kilometers away from Bacolod . Travel time is approximately two hours.
Guintubdan Campsite - Brgy. Ara-al, La Carlota City
- Sitio Guintubdan is a small village located some 750 meters above ea level at the western foot of Mt. Kanlaon. Rich sugar planters have their resthouses built in this area. The place is also an ideal jump-off point for the trek up to the summit.
Brgy. Haguimit Hill Resort - La Carlota City
- Located 11 kilometers east of the poblacion, this picturesque hill resort has a swimming pool watered by natural spring.
Campomanes Bay - Sipalay
- Also known as Maricalum Bay, the place boasts of its natural harbor and anchorage during storms and its capability to submerge a submarine. It is shaped like a horse-shoe with a length of two kilometers and a width of one kilometers (or about 200 hectares) with high cliffs on both sides. The place is ideal for development into a ship breaking/shipyard facility.
HANDICRAFT & COTTAGE INDUSTRY TOURS
Samodalís Woodshave - 2nd Road, Villamonte, Bacolod City
- At Samodals Woodshave, seemingly useless woodshaving from Palochina wood are utilized to make beautiful floral creations. Also, what is significant about the business is that the owner of the place started with only abut P20 worth of material which eventually grew to become an export-oriented business.
MDS Ceramics - Rosario-San Juan Streets, Bacolod City
- MDS ceramics owned, by Myrna D. Servando, is one of pioneering establishments that started the famous ceramics business in Negros Occidental.
Anaware Ceramics - Capitolville, Bacolod City
- Anita Feria, owner of Anaware Ceramics, is another enterprising lady who also pioneered in the ceramics business in Bacolod City. The main factory can be arranged for a visit where one would be given an insight into the world of ceramics production.
The Negros Showroom - L. Ciocon Bldg., Lacson St. Bacolod City
- The Negros Showroom is a one-stop showcase for practically all of the handicraft industries and products of members of the Association of Negros Producers (ANP).
Maninihon Clay Products - Silay City
- Along the National Highway upon arrival in Silay City at Sitio Maninihon, Brgy. Guinhalaran, one can see the numerous potteries and other clay products being exhibited in this part of Negros Occidental. These potteries are produced by the ancient method and the sight of an old man shaping clay to form potteries could be interesting could be interesting and educational.
Potteries at Pahanocoy - Brgy. Pahanocoy, Bacolod City
- Like the ones found at Sitio Maninihon in the north of Bacolod, the Pahanocoy potteries also display the various clay products produced in this barangay located some seven kilometers south of downtown Bacolod.
Bacolod Shell Craft & Artwares - Brgy. Singcang, Bacolod City
- Located some four kilometers from downtown Bacolod and a stoneís throw from the Bacolod air Terminal is the Bacolod Shellcraft & Artwares. Here, shells of various species and their natural colors are crafted into fine pieces of shellcraft art. The owner, Mrs. Leticia Ledesma, also did the collage of shells of the mural of the Sta. Clara Chapel.
SPECIAL INTEREST - TOURISM ACTIVITIES IN NEGROS OCCIDENTAL
Wilderness Trekking Tours
- Wilderness trekking tours can be arranged by the local Department of Tourism Office and the Negros Mountaineering Club (NMC) to Mt. Kanlaon National Park. The tour can vary from a dayís hike up the borderline of the National Park from Mambucal Resort to about three to four days of full-blown mountaineering trek to the summit of Mt. Kanlaon (2,465 meters) - the highest peak in Central Philippines.
- The 25,000-hectare area of Mt. Kanlaon National Park offers the bird-watching enthusiast the opportunity of observing both migratory and endemic bird species in Mt. Kanlaon. The central highland is populated and is home to a variety of tropical bird species found among existing wildlife. Noted among the more than a hundred endemic species at Mt. Kanalon are the Bleeding Heart Pigeon and the Negros Fruit Dove (Ptillinopus Arcanus) now believed to be on the verge of extinction. A host of other species such as the Barblers and Warblers, Doves, Bulbuls, Flycatchers and Woodpeckers abound within the National Park.
- Mt. Kanlaon in the central highlands of Negros is home to a variety of plant species. Among these are the various species of ferns, lichens and orchids - the Calanthe elmeri, which is one of the more abundant growing orchids endemic to Mt. Kanlaon.
- Negros Occidental is home to a few species of vintage steam locomotives dubbed as the Iron Dragons or the Iron Dinosaurs. Found in existence mainly among the sugar factories, these old steam locos have attracted the attention of the steam train enthusiasts from all over the globe.
HOME | FOREWORD | CONTENTS | IMAGES | LINKS