ROTARY CLUB OF BACOLOD -
The Rotary Club of Bacolod West, under the leadership of its president Rtn. Juliano L.
Chiu, began RY 1997-1998 with 33 members of good standing. It inducted into its fold nine
young businessmen and professionals. The total classification increased by 27% during the
RCBW is stable when it comes to its financial status. Various projects in all the
avenues of service are being funded from income derived from advertisements in the
souvenir program for the 8th Induction Ceremonies, membership dues and charity
Bingo. It is up to date in meeting its obligations with Rotary International. It is
subscribing to the Philippine Rotary Magazine.
Rotary Club of Bacolod West Foundation, Inc. Is duly a registered Foundation with the
securities and Exchange Commission.
An atmosphere of wholesome openness and a spirit of camaraderie permeates among the
Rotarians. This is felt by visiting Rotarians and guests who attend the weekly meetings.
RCBW has vision of healthy and economically productive Negrenses. True to its mission
of working with government towards the attainment of that vision it continues to cooperate
and collaborate with Local Government Units and National Agencies, in projects like Clean
and Green, Philippine Centennial Activities, Alay Lakad, National Voluntary Blood Service
RCBW access the media, broadcast and print, in the promotion of its activities. Press
releases are also sent to the Governor's Monthly Letter as a way of sharing with other
Rotary Clubs in the District its successful accomplishments during the year.
Projects and Activities Undertaken
During the Rotary Year
- Conducted 2 clubs assemblies for project planning and reprogramming
- Sanggumay, a regular weekly publication, is its medium for a Rotary news, Rotary
Information, social events involving its members and other matters
- Quarterly fellowship meetings hosted by birthday celebrants during the quarter; family
outing at Mambucal Mountain Resort, Christmas Party, Birthday Fellowship Party.
- Had 2 Intercolor Bowling Tournament Bacolod Pavillion Bowling Lanes on October 12, 1997
and Lopue's East Bowling Alley - February 1, 1998
- Fund Raising - Charity Bingo in Coordination with Pagcor Filipino- Bacolod.
- Two meetings were devoted to Rotary Information; invited PDG Pat Tan on Rotary Protocol
and PDG Sonny Elegado on the Rotary Foundation of R.I.
- The Club bought its own Laser Disc Player to make Community Singing lively.
- Joined The Rotary Interclub Bowling Tournament and garnered Third Place in Total
Avenue of Community Service
- Co hosted the Mini Olympics for Persons with Disabilities - October 12, 1998
- Participated in the Alay Lakad together with the Rotaract Club- November 29, 1997
- Rotary HELP Project - A quarterly stroke awareness, Diabetes, Asthma and Cataract
Screening has helped more than 500 individuals this year. Dates conducted; July 27, 1997,
October 27, 1997, January 25, 1998. Schedule for the last quarter is April 26, 1998.
Additional activity for this project are the Blood Typing and Dental Clinic scheduled on
April 5, 1998 at Barangay Handumanan.
- Tree Growing Project - Adopted a one hectare lot at Sitio Kampuestuhan, Bgy. Cabatangan,
Talisay which is a watershed area of Bacolod City. This is in Coordination with the Negros
Forests & Ecological seedlings and contributed to the Foundation P 10,000.00 to
support the community who will take charge of seeing to the growth of the seedlings
- Feeding Project - Fifty preschool children of Purok Villa Villeta, Bgy. Estefania were
beneficiaries of the project - March 1, 1998
- Sponsor 1 participant to the RYLA, has already paid for the registration fee but the
training was postponed by the Sponsoring Rotary Club.
- Active Interact and Rotaract Clubs.
Avenue of Vocational Service
- Search for Ten Outstanding Bacolod City Metro Aides-Awards consisted of certificate of
Recognition and Cash Prize. All the Metro aides were given bags of groceries during the
awarding ceremony held on December 22, 1997 which was attended by Hon. Senator Alberto
Romulo and Hon. Mayor Bing Leonardia. The annual Search aims to motivate the Garbage
Collectors and Street Cleaners to value their vocation, no matter how lowly it may be, as
their work have contributed much to making Bacolod City the Cleanest and Greenest City in
- Skills Training on Dressmaking and Cosmetology - 21 participants completed the
Dressmaking course and 9 participants completed the cosmetology. Period of Training
November 8, 1997 to February 8, 1998.
- Distributed the Declaration of Rotarians in Business and Professions to members.
- 54% of its members are actively involved in their respective professions/trade
- Vocational Tour at San Miguel Corporation's Brewery Plant together with the GSE team
from RI District 7710.
Avenue of International Service
- Matching Grant projects with 3 Rotary Clubs from RI District 5240; Rotary Clubs of
Atascadero, Newbury Park, Ventura - Marina, for Project Dungganon, a revolving loan fund
providing working capital for micro enterprises of poor women in rural areas. As of
January 1998, sixty women have already accessed the funds with 100% weekly payment
rate. Two more applications for Matching Grant with RI District 5240 and Rotary Club
of Lafayette, Indiana are under process.
- Sponsored 2 nominees to the GSE Program
- Hosted 1 GSE team member from RI District 7110.
- Books to the Barrios Project- Distributed Books which was the Club's prize for
successful nominee to the ROYAL Award (RY 96-97) to 11 elementary schools and 10 high
- World Community Service Project no. WO3573, a project to provide potable water to
households of mostly relocated squatters in Purok Rose, Bgy. Handumanan, is listed in the
WCS Project Exchange, Issue 2; 1997-98. Negotiatons are currently being made with Rotary
Club of Newbury Park, RI District 5240, California, for application for a matching grant
for this project.
- Sponsored one Rotary Youth Exchange to RI District 5170.
- One new Paul Harris Fellow.