"ROTARY HELP PROJECT"
OF ROTARY CLUB OF BACOLOD WEST
Health is increasingly affected by a number of factors which the individual has little control of; social and economic circumstances, labor saving technologies and the information and communication revolution. The Filipinos, so with the counterparts from the developing countries, are now acquiring unhealthy lifestyles and behaviors of the industrialized world: sedentary occupations, inadequate physical activity, unsatisfactory diets, tobacco, alcohol and drugs.
According to the Department of Health one adult dies of heart disease every 10 minutes and half of such deaths are due to hypertension. Health statistics in Bacolod City and in the Province of Negros Occidental show that cardiovascular disease are among the leading causes of illness and deaths for the past several years. Diabetes have also been observed to have increasing prevalence among the Negrense.
The Rotary Club of Bacolod West, cognizant of these problems, has tapped a leading drug company, Med Asia/Le Servier, for assistance in the identification of persons who are at risk for heart diseases and diabetes and providing for a follow up mechanism for patients identified to be at risk or behave the disease. The project, began in RY 1993-94, started as a stroke awareness and diabetes screening project. Asthma screening was added in RY 1996-97. This Rotary Year, Cataract screening is in injected into the program.
With Republic Act 7719, which calls for ensuring the availability and access to safe, adequate blood, the government will be closing commercial blood bank. It means blood will be sourced from voluntary donors. The Rotary Club of Bacolod West sees the need to assist the government identify possible donors through massive blood typing activities.
Project Planning, Management and Execution
Over all Membership Participation
Value to the Rotary Club and the Community
Sir Winston Churchill once said, "One cannot rise to become a leader in a community in the civilized world without being involved in its problems, without being convulsed in its agonies," and inspired by its activities under the avenue of Community service for RY 1997-98. Community service is the Clubs' heartbeat, an avenue utilized to contribute to the improvement of the quality of life of the Negrenses.
Mini Olympics for Person with Disabilities
- Persons limited by any degree of physical disabilities or mental incapacities, regardless of age, look forward to this annual event as their venue for showing to the community that they, in their own way, can be athletic and should be accepted by the community as productive citizens. Since RY 1991-92 the Mini Olympics is an annual community service project of RCBW in coordiantion with the Association of Disabled Persons of Negros Occidental. This year's event was conducted in October 12, 1997 and was co-hosted by the Council of Rotary Club of Presidents in Negros Occidental. The Rotarians of RCBW facilitated the Wheelathon event.
Alay Lakad 97
- This is a yearly walk for a cause participated in by the Rotary
Club of Bacolod West and was also participated in by the Rotaract November 29, 1997.
ROTARY HELP Project
- A quarterly undertaking since RY 1993-1994. The activities, since its inception, are stroke awareness, Diabetes & Asthma screening. For this Rotary Year Cataract screening Blood Typing and Dental Clinic are the new activities under the project.
- The project offers BP check ups, free diagnostic procedures: Triglcerides and cholesterol determination, Electrocardiography, free consultations, eye examinations for cataract, blood typing, tooth extraction and dispeusing of free starter doses of medicines.
- The club has tapped the assistance of MED ASIA/Le Servier Drug Co. for the diagnostic procedures and starter doses, Philippine Association of Med. Technologists Negros Occidental Chapter for the blood typing and Phil. Dental Assn. Neg. Occ. Chapter for the dental clinic.
- Rotarians counterpart in the project include manpower for registration of patients, BP screening, weight taking, assistance for EKG, dispensing of medicines, provision of dental supplies and provision of meals and snacks during the activities.
- Blood typing and dental is a joint activity with the RVC.
Since its initial implementation thousands of patients coming from the lower economic/bracket of society have availed of this project.
Tree Growing Project
- Tree planting by Rotarians at Sitio Kampuestuhan, Barangay, Cabatangan, Talisay, Negros Occidental, which is the watershed area of Bacolod City. A one hectare lot was adopted by the club. A donation of P10,000.00 was made to the Negros Forests and Ecological Foundation, Inc. Who will work with the community in ensuring the growth of the seedlings planted. Tree planting was conducted on November 9, 1997.
- 50 pre-schoolers of Purok Villa Villeta Brgy. Estefania, Bacolod City were given snacks which consisted of Arroz Caldo and bread on March 1, 1998.
Sponsorship to RYLA
- Has paid for the registration of the Rotaract club president to the RYLA which was supposed to be held on Jan. 3 - 6, 1998 but was postponed.
- Announcements of the project is being made utilizing the print and broadcat media, thru, DYEZ, Radio Agong, Bombo Radio and Visayan Daily Star.
Total Budget for Community Service Projects; P 31,500.00